Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Head in the Clouds

John Duigan's Head in the Clouds is a most interesting film. The overall theme of film is destiny. In the early 20th a young girl is told her fortune by a palm reader and what she is told comes true.

The story continues in 1933. Gilda (Charlize Theron) is a flighty rich girl who "accidentally" meets student Guy (Stuart Townsend)in England when she needs a favor. The two fall for each other and soon move to Paris. There they have a bohemian life filled with many ups and downs. They share an apartment with Gilda's close friend Mia (Penelope Cruz) who is from Spain. Gilda is trying to get ahead with her career so she is not always loyal to Guy. She and Mia also share a past.

Mia's presence reawakens Guy's feelings about fighting the Fascists in Spain. The two of them eventually go to Spain to help out - Guy to fight and Mia to work as a nurse. Gilda has no interest in such things. I will not say more about the plot except that Gilda and Guy do meet up again.

When the film was released it did not get great reviews and I skipped it when it played at my local cinema. However, I thought that it was quite a good film. It had an intriguing plot and it really held my interest. Theron and Cruz were wonderful. Townsend was good but I think that a sturdier looking actor might have been better. There are some wonderful sex scenes, too.

All in all, I think this is a good film to rent. I'm more than glad that I gave it a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home