Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Che, Kontrol on IFC TV, Cannes Update

Because of time constraints I am going to post a few words about the above mentioned items.

I saw the DVD of Che with Eduardo Noriega in the title role. I had wanted to see this for a long time and it was finally released on DVD here. I was surprised that the film was in English. I guess I never noticed that in imdb. I took it for granted that it was in Spanish. Noriega was good but the dialog was bad and the film was not well directed. Mark Evans seems like a student filmmaker. But despite some big flaws I found interest was held most of the time. The fact that the film is only 80 minutes long helps. The wonderful Italian actor Enrico Lo Verso plays Fidel. I felt that he was miscast - I wasn't convinced at all. The story is good but the storytelling isn't. After all this time I am glad that I saw this film despite the fact that it is disappointing.

Last night I saw Kontrol on IFC TV. It was a bizarre but wonderful film. It is directed by Nimrod Antal and it takes place in Busapest. The story focuses on security men who ride on the subways making sure people pay their fare. They are a motley crew to say the least. The protagonist is Sandor (Csanyi Bulcsu) who is an odd duck. He has bad visions/nightmares and sleeps on the subway platforms. He and his colleagues are engaged in a battle with a rival gang of security employees. Throw into the mix a mysterious woman in a bear costume and a hooded man who pushes people to their deaths in the subways and you have a very unusual film. I highly recommend this film for those of you who like quirky foreign films.

Steven Soderbergh's Che epic screened today and, for the most part, the reviews were not great. I never thought that Soderbergh was the right person to direct this film.
I am sure that Benicio del Toro is great as Che. But it sounds like this film might need some editing. In any case, whatever the reviews might be I will see it when it comes out.

1 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

definitly interested in your mini-review of che...i was curious...i think i'll pass...i'm excited for the new film and loved motorcycle diaries. che certainly is an interesting character in history...they could make tons of che films.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home