Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, February 14, 2008

DVD Mini Review - We Own the Night

James Gray's We Own the Night is a pretty good crime/police drama. Bobby Green (Joaquin Phoenix) works as a manager in a club. He is friendly with some unsavory characters. His brother Joseph (Gorsinsky) is a copy just like his father Albert (Robert Duvall). But Bobby doesn't have much respect for them. That is why he uses his mother's maiden name. But when the Russian mob tries to take over things change.

Gray knows quite a bit about this subject as he made the terrific film Little Odessa,
which is also about the Russian mob. Once again, this film takes place in New York City. It is quite gritty but it focuses on characters more than action. The acting is good but not spectacular. I would say the Phoenix is the best. Eva Mendes plays his girlfriend Amada and she is okay. Again, I didn't expect a lot out of this film and I liked it more than I thought I would. It is a good solid crime drama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home