Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, February 09, 2008

HBO Movie - Bernard and Doris

Bernard and Doris is directed by Bob Balaban. It is the story of the relationship between an aging Doris Duke (Susan Sarandon) and her butler Bernard Lafferty (Ralph Fiennes). The film was made with the intention of having a theatrical release but I guess that it had a hard time being picked up by a distributor so HBO films came to the rescue. In any case it is a good film.

Doris is very rich but very lonely. She has a number of young male lovers (who she pays for). But she doesn't have to worry about Bernard because he is gay. She is difficult but he is quite low key so the two get along well. As time goes on he becomes her best friend and confidante. Both of them have something in common - a love of booze. The film is nicely paced and has some comedic moments. Fiennes does a fine job of playing the sweet (supposedly so anyway) Bernard. And Sarandon is terrific as the feisty Doris. The film is part truth and part fiction. But one thing is for sure - when she died Doris left almost everything to Bernard.

I recommend this film to you and if you don't have HBO (I just got it for the night) then rent it when it comes out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home