Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, February 04, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Vanaja

I was sent a DVD copy of this film to view because I am a member of the Independent Feature Project (IFP) and I will be casting my vote for the Independent Spirit Awards this week.

Vanaja is the first feature by writer/director Rajnesh Domalpalli. It focuses on the class/caste system that still plagues India. Young Vanaja is motherless and lives with her poor fisherman father - who also happens to drink too much. She wants to work for their landlady in the hopes that the older woman will teach her to dance. Things are going well until the landlady's son comes home.

Although the plot is somewhat predictable I still enjoyed this film. The non-actors do a good job. And the cinematography by Milton Kam is lovely.

The bottom line of this film is that no matter how smart you are (and Vanaja is smart) if you are born into the wrong caste you can never escape it. Vanaja makes a very good addition to your list of world cinema films that you should see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home