Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cassandra's Dream

My first real 2008 film screening was Woody Allen's Cassandra's Dream. And it is a good film. I don't get it when I hear critics saying what happened to Allen or that he is all washed up. I was totally involved in this film and while it may not be his best film it is certainly better than much of what is released in theaters these days.

The story is about two working class brothers. Ian (Ewan MacGregor) works at his father's (John Benfield) restaurant but he has dreams of going into his own business.
Brother Terry (Colin Farrell) works for an auto mechanic. He would love to open up a sports shop. He is heavy into drinking and gambling. Terry lives with his girlfriend Kate (Sally Hawkins). Ian meets a lovely actress named Angela (Hayley Atwell) and falls for her hard.

Terry really gets into a mess when he borrows a huge sum of money to gamble and loses. The brothers have some hope though because their rich uncle Howard (Tom Wilkinson) - who is the brother of their mom (Clare Higgins) is coming to town and they are confident that he will bail Terry out and give Ian money for his business. Well, Howard would love to bail them out but they have to do him a big favor. I won't tell you what the favor is (unfortunately critic Richard Roeper spilled the beans) but it is very, very big.

I found the film to be highly entertaining with humor throughout. But make no mistake about it - this is a dark film. The plot has some nice twists and turns. And you can see that Allen is influenced by Hitchcock.

Everyone turns in a good performance. I should also mention the wonderful actor Phil Davis is in the film playing a man named Martin Burns. But amongst all of the actors the real standout is Farrell. He was terrific and I hope that he gets more roles that will show off his talent.

So I highly recommend this film. Don't listen to the critics (besides Allen they have also recently bashed Francis Ford Coppola and Milos Forman). Have a mind of your own (and an open one at that) and check out Cassandra's Dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home