Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, January 11, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Flanders

Bruno Dumont's Flanders won the Grand Prixe at Cannes. It is a very interesting film
but I must say that its commercial potential is not very high.

I've only seen one of Dumont's other films - Humanity - which also won a prize at Cannes. In both films sex is portrayed as a rather emotion free affair. His characters don't vary their facial expressions very much so we don't really know what they are thinking or feeling.

This film takes place in rural France. Demster (Samuel Boidin) owns a farm. His farm is not far from another farm which is owned by the father of Barbe (Adelaide Leroux). Barbe and Demster have known each other since they were children and are friends. They also have random sex - the kind of sex that is a turn off because it is totally devoid of all sensuality. Barbe also has a reputation for sleeping around and she meets another man who is interested in her. She even makes out with him in front of Demster.

Demster and his friends are called upon to join the army and fight in an unknown war in the Middle East. While there they rape, kill and are witnesses to killings.

The film is bleak and the message is clear. War is hell and humans are capable of anything. The film is nicely shot and I found that it held my interest. I wanted to find out what happened to these people. I won't tell you much more about the plot.

I will recommend the film to only those who like unusual art films. This is not for every taste but those who like this type of film will find it worthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home