Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Introducing the Dwights

And it has to be very mini because I am exhausted.

This lovely little dramady is directed by Cherie Nowland and is written by Keith Thompson. Brenda Blethyn plays Jean, a canteen worker who moonlights as a comedienne at a club (this film's original title was Clubland). Jean is a single mother to two young men. The shy Tim (Khan Chittenden) is close to his mother but things start to change when he meets Jill (Emma Booth)and falls hard for her. Also living with Jean is her special needs son Mark (Richard Wilson). Jean is British and she gave everything up to marry her ex-husband John (Frankie J. Holden) and move to Australia. John is a one hit wonder - having had a hit record many moons ago. He would like to have another hit song.

Jean is not the nicest of people but you really do feel sorry for her. She wanted a different life than the one she wound up with (like so many of us). Blethyn's portrayal of her is just wonderful. The film depicts real people with all of their flaws. These are the kind of people that might be our neighbors.

I don't know why Introducing the Dwights didn't do better at the box office. I am guessing that it wasn't promoted in the right way. But it is now out on DVD and I suggest that you rent this little gem of a film as soon as you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home