Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

DVD Mini Review - Au Hasard Balthazar

Robert Bresson's Au Hasard Balthazar is a gem of a movie. It may seem like a simple story but it is really quite complicated. Much has been written about this film so my comments are my own observations (and I will keep them brief).

Balthazar (who is named after one of the wise men) is a donkey and he is the main character in the film. I felt that the story was told through his eyes. Balthazar is adopted by Marie (Anne Wiazemsky) when he is young. His first years are pleasant and he is well taken care of. Marie loves him but she is a very passive girl. She doesn't try to stop the cruel people who harm Balthazar. She eventually falls for local bad boy Gerard (Francois Lafarge).

Marie's relationship with Gerard is not a good one. He is quite abusive. While this is going on we witness poor Balthazar's abuse with various owners. Although some might see him as being a passive beast I could tell by looking into his eyes just how sad he is. You also get a glimpse of the sad state of some other animals who are in a circus.

For me this film is about the never ending cruelty in the world. The cruelty that humans bestow on other humans and the cruelty that they bestow on other species. Balthazar's and Marie's fates are intertwined (you will see what I mean). The ending is very powerful, very moving and very sad. In wish the story ended on a different note. But I realize that it had to end the way it did.

SPOILER ALERT: A poster on imdb said that Bresson killed the donkey at the end of the film. If that were true I would never recommend this film (I read this after I saw it). But, happily, someone posted part of an interview with Bresson where he says that they gave the donkey a mild sleeping pill and that he woke up five minutes after taking it. I highly recommend this film and I would like to see it again. Perhaps I will buy a copy of it from Amazon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home