Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Factory Girl

I have been waiting for Factory Girl from Netflix for a long time so I decided to see in on MOD (The Weinstein Company gave Blockbuster exclusive rights to their films for DVD so Netflix just didn't have that many copies. Maybe even Blockbuster didn't have many copies either).

Anyway - the film, directed by George Hickenlooper is uneven but is certainly not as bad as some critics painted. And even though the dialog isn't always as sharp as it should be (and even if there are some reported factual errors) the film is still worth seeing.

The main reason for this is Sienna Miller's outstanding performance. She puts her heart and soul into her portrayal of poor little rich girl Edie Sedgwick. Edie was from a very rich family but decided to leave everything behind and come to New York to seek fame (she didn't need fortune). She become involved with Andy Warhol (an excellent Guy Pearce) and became his "It Girl." Of course, one can only be an "It Girl" for a short amount of time and things go haywire for Edie. It doesn't help that she left her one true love - the nameless Musician (Hayden Christensen) - to stay with Andy. The Musician goes on to marry someone else.

The film portrays Warhol in a very bad light. Could it be possible that he was so selfish and self centered? That is not a question that I can answer. The Musician is base on Bob Dylan but Dylan threatened to sue the Weinsteins before the film came out because he didn't like them using a character that in any case resembled him. I do remember him being linked to Edie way back when but, again, who knows how true that story was. In any case, Christiansen is not a good actor and does not bring anything to the film.

The film is never boring and interesting to look at. And, as I said before, I highly recommend it for the wonderful performances by Miller and Pearce. Factory Girl will not be everyone's cup of tea but if you like films about that era I suggest that you check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home