Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 25, 2007

2 Days in Paris

2 Days in Paris is a lovely confection of a film. And it was the perfect film to see after viewing the heavy No End in Sight.

Julie Delpy wrote and directed the film. Delpy plays Marion who lives in NYC with her boyfriend Jack (Adam Goldberg). The couple has just been in Venice and is now in Paris to pick up Marion's cat Jean Luc from her parents. During their time in Paris Jack gets to meet some of Marion's friends, which include several ex boyfriends. Jack just can't help being jealous. He doesn't understand that the French attitude towards sex is much different than the American attitude.

The film is not plot heavy but it has a lot of charm. That is what makes it work. Besides the romantic story there are numerous political punches thrown in the mix. The dialog is very smart.

In a very nice touch Delpy's mother and father are played by her real life parents Marie Pillet and Albert Delpy. Even Jean Luc is played by Delpy's real life cat Max (and what a beauty he is!). Delpy's sister Rose (it seems that she lives at home with her parents) is played by Alexia Landeau (Marion's apartment in Paris is right above her parents' apartment). And there is a strange but interesting cameo by Daniel Bruhl as Lukas (I won't say anything about his character).

I must say that I found it strange that Marion would take her cat to Paris so that her parents could take care of him while she was in Venice. But that was part of the story and I accepted. I wasn't crazy about it when the family sat down to a consisting of rabbit but I know that this is typical French cuisine. And the trip to the market was a bit revolting to a devout vegetarian like me (this included dead pigs and large tongues that were cut out of animals). But again, that is what most French people eat. But all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed 2 Days in Paris. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an intelligent romantic comedy (with some very frank language) that is made for adults instead of teenagers and 20 somethings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home