Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Becoming Jane

Director Julian Jarrold has created a lovely film about the life of author Jane Austen. I don't know how true to life the film is but as a work of cinema I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jane (Anne Hathaway) loves to write but her mother (Julie Walters) wishes that she would get married. Jane's family is not rich and her mother hopes that she will settle for someone with money. Her father (James Cromwell) understands that Jane doesn't want to settle for someone that she doesn't love. But things weren't so easy for single women in those days. Lady Gresham (Maggie Smith) has a nephew that is available but Jane has no interest in him. Then one day Tom Lefroy (James McAvoy) comes to stay with relatives in town and Jane is immediately smitten. The only problem is is that Tom doesn't have any money.

I don't have to tell you the rest of the story. But even if you can guess what happens the film is worth seeing. The story is actually quite heartbreaking. Hathaway finally comes into her own as an actress. She is very good as Jane - her English accent is flawless. McAvoy is good and, of course, Walters, Smith and Cromwell are wonderful. It was also a pleasure to see Anna Maxwell Martin as Jane's sister Cassandra (she was terrific on PBS's Bleak House) and the late Ian Richardson as Tom's uncle. The cast alone is worth the price of admission.

I love period pieces and romances. Someone said that the film was a bit soap operaish. Well, guess what - I like that too. Maybe this is more of a woman's film than a man's film. But maybe not. I hope that there are still men out there who are romantics. In any case, if you want two hours of pleasure Becoming Jane is the film for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home