Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Interview

Steve Buscemi directed this remake of the late Theo van Gogh's Dutch film of the same name. The screenplay was written by Buscemi and Theodore Holman, who also wrote the original screenplay.

Buscemi plays Pierre, a political reporter who has had a falling out with his boss. His new assignment is to interview Katya (Sienna Miller) an actress that makes B movies and soap operas. Pierre is resentful and feels that this is a step down for him so he treats Katya with disdain. She doesn't much like him either. But circumstances keep them together for a long night and things happen - but not what you might think. But I certainly won't tell you what they are - you will have to see the film for yourself to find out.

Interview is what Roger Ebert would call a "smart" film. It is dialog heavy because most of what happens is between these two characters and it all has to do with words. The film has just the right mixture of comedy and drama. There are a number of surprises to be found. Buscemi does a great job directing the film and both he and Miller are wonderful. At the beginning of the film we get to see Buscemi's real life brother Michael play his screen brother Robert. My only complaint is that they should have changed one of the names. Miller can pass as a Katya but Buscemi just doesn't feel like a Pierre (Peter would have been better).

I would love to see the original Interview but I didn't find it on Netflix. Perhaps it will be released here on DVD now that the American remake is in theaters. I liked this film a lot but I have to say that it is not for everyone. However, if you like films where the characters have the chance to really express themselves then Interview is for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home