Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, July 19, 2007

DVD Review - Fidel (The Castro Project)

I saw the video for Fidel a few years ago at my local video store. That was before I had a DVD player. I always wanted to see it (it was originally broadcast on Showtime as a two part mini series) but never got around to it. It was near the top of my Netflix list and that is what they sent me. So, I finally saw it.

The show is directed by David Attwood and the teleplay is written by Stephen Tolkin. I watched it in two sittings because it is 3 hours and 26 minutes long. It is quite interesting and I learned some history by watching it. We see how the young lawyer Fidel (Victor Hugo Martin) is such an idealist. He wants the government to be for the people. He totally opposes the dictator Batista and hopes that one day he will overthrow the dictator. As time goes on Fidel decides that protests are not enough. What is needed is an armed revolt. During the time he forms his army he in Mexico he meets Ernesto "Che" Guevarra (Gael Garcia Bernal). One of his most loyal followers is Celia Sanchez (Cecilia Suarez).

Fidel may have been an idealist but once he takes power things begin to change. He will not tolerate any dissent and refuses to let any of his soldiers resign. And we all know that things get worse. In addition to everything else Fidel is also portrayed as a womanizer.

Martin is good as Fidel but I just wish he had a bit more charisma. Bernal later went on to play the younger Che in The Motorcycle Diaries (which is a better film) and he has a few good scenes here. But, for the most part, I didn't buy him as the older Che. The real standout in the film is Suarez. She is outstanding as Fidel's most devout follower.

Castro, like many "revolutionaries," eventually turned his back on the people. The US didn't like him because of his disdain for them and his alliance with the Soviets. They like to choose the dictators of a country which is why they liked Batista. But a dictator is a dictator no matter which side he (or she) is on. Anyone who opposes dissent should never be in a position of power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home