Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, July 13, 2007

DVD Review - Freedom Writers

Freedom Writers, written (from the Freedom Writers diaries) and directed by Richard LaGravenese, is a very positive and uplifting film.

Hillary Swank play real life English teacher Erin Gruwell. Erin is a first time teacher who desperately wants to teach in a touch LA school in the mid 90s. These are bad times for the city and the racial tensions are great. Blacks, Hispanics and Asians all have their own groups. Department head Margaret Campbell (Imelda Staunton) doesn't know if Erin is up to the task but is willing to give her a chance. At first she has problems but she refuses to give up because she believes in these kids. Ms. Campbell doesn't like her methods (which I won't reveal) and tries to stop. Without giving away too much I will say that things work out (for the most part). Erin is well supported by her father (Scott Glenn) but not so much by her husband (Patrick Dempsey) who wants more of her time.

Swank is good as Erin and Staunton is great as the brittle Ms. Campbell. Some of the standouts from the young cast include April Hernandez (Eva), Mario (Andre) and Jason Finn (Marcus). Even though we've seen these type of movies before I had tears in my eyes during several scenes. Seeing Freedom Writers gave me renewed hope that maybe we all can get along and live in harmony.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your review, I saw the DVD and yes, I loved it too.
Thanks for posting all the reviews.
Elfriede

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home