Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

DVD Review - Old Joy

I liked Kelly Reichardt's Old Joy quite a lot. It is a very short film (76 minutes) but that doesn't matter. It is a very meditative and contemplative experience. And it is also beautiful to look at.

Mark (Daniel London) is a married working man who is soon going to become a father. Out of the blue he gets a phone call from his old pal Kurt (Will Oldham). Kurt would like to Mark to join him on a camping weekend in the mountains of Oregon. Mark's wife Tanya (Tanya Smith) begrudgingly consents to the trip.

Kurt is a free spirit who doesn't work and travels around from place to place. He is staying in a house but that is only temporary. We know that Mark and Kurt were friends way back when (they are now in their 30s). There is a question as to whether they were more than friends (some of the posters on the imdb board seem to think so). That question crossed my mind but I am not sure. It really doesn't matter. Also of note - when Mark is driving by himself he listens to Air America. Most of the conversations that we hear revolve around the gutlessness of the Democratic party. I appreciated hearing words of wisdom from America's top populist Jim Hightower.

Not a lot "happens" in Old Joy and that is the point. Maybe we just need for less things to "happen." The film also shows a longing for things as they used to be (I could relate to that).
We need more quiet time. I forgot to mention that Mark takes his lovely dog Lucy on the trip.
Besides seeing this beautiful creature we are treated to some fantastic nature scenery.

I highly recommend this film to those of you who, for a change of pace, want to feel totally relaxed while watching a film. This is what low budget indie cinema should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home