Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 14, 2007

The Brave One

I've seen all of Neil Jordan's films and I know that they fall into two categories. One category is for films that he has written as well as directed. And the other category is for films that he only directed. The Brave One falls into the latter category.

The film is written by Roderick Taylor, Bruce Taylor and Cynthia Mort. The screenplay is not great but not bad either. But Jordan's direction and the acting by Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard elevate the film above the typical vigilante film.

Foster plays Erica Bain, a radio talk show host. While she and her fiance David (Naveen Andrews) are walking their dog in the park (probably Central Park as the story takes place in NYC0 a bunch of hoods attack them. David dies but Erica eventually comes out of her coma. But she feels lost. And who wouldn't? But she feels that the police aren't doing enough so she decides to take things into her own hands. Detective Mercer (Howard) takes a special interest in Erica but as time goes on he starts to become suspicious.

Jordan is such a great director. The way he shot NYC makes you feel that you are standing right in the middle of things. And I would know how that feels because I live there. He really put the film together so well. Foster and Howard have great chemistry in their scenes together. And Foster really gets you with her vacant look.

I will not say more about the plot because that would really spoil things. There are some twists, including a big one, in the film. And that big twist made me wonder about the message that the filmmakers want to send. But, hey it is only a movie, right? But there are some things in the film that can really make you wonder.

So do not listen to the critics that did not like this film. Check out The Brave One. Judging from the big audience on a Friday afternoon I assume that most people do just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home