Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

What can I say about this film? It is far from a masterpiece and yet there are some very good things about it. It is not a bad film at all but it has some serious flaws.

The first big problem is the length. It is two hours and 40 minutes. There was no reason for the film to be this long. The middle section could have been cut quite a bit. And the end of the film could have been trimmed as well. Writer/director Andrew Dominick adapted the film from Ron Hansen's book. And the problem with the film's length extends to its title. The title should have been shorter as well. I have no problem with long films. Lady Chatterley was the same length but that is what I call a true art film. While Jesse James is contemplative at times it is not a real art film.

Jesse (Brad Pitt) and his gang are about to pull off a last robbery. Joining him is his brother Frank (Sam Shepard). Tagging along are the Ford brothers - Charley (Sam Rockwell) and Robert (Casey Affleck). Casey has an obsession with Jesse. Jesse was a fodder for the tabloids back then and Robert has numerous books on him. At first it seems like Jesse likes Robert but then he pushes him away. Jesse is doing that with everyone he knows because he doesn't trust them. Now this makes for an interesting psychological profile of the man and that is one of the best things about the film. But there is too much time spent on some of the other characters that didn't need to be in the film. This film is in great need of a good editor. It is very obvious that Dominick was trying to do something very much like Terrence Malick here but it didn't always work.

I think that Pitt is really good as Jesse. You can see how he has grown as an actor (although I don't know if he really deserved that Best Actor award in Venice). Sadly, Shepard is not in the film for very long. I was hoping that his role as Frank would have been juicy but, alas, it isn't. Mary Louise Parker plays Jesse's faithful wife Zee. But she is wasted on a throwaway role. Rockwell hits the right notes as Charley. But I did not care for Affleck as the ultra obnoxious Robert. After seeing him in this film, Gerry and the trailer for Gone, Baby, Gone I have come to the conclusion that he lacks charisma. I don't understand the raves that he is getting for this role. Roger Deakin's cinematography is spectacular. He is a master in his field.

Some critics have compared this film to Bonnie & Clyde and McCabe & Mrs. Miller. I don't see that - both are better films. But it certainly does explore the love of the outlaw. When Jesse died he was treated like a hero. Nobody really cared about Robert Ford. I really cannot recommend this film to everyone. It just isn't for every taste. But I am certainly not sorry that I saw it. For those of you who don't mind sitting through a long, slow moving tales you will find some very good things in this film.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home