Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

DVD Mini Review - As You Like It

No one has done more for the revival of Shakespeare in film than Kenneth Branagh. When I hear that Branagh is making a Shakespeare film I know that it will be damn good!

This lovely version of Shakespeare's tale of love, jealousy and betrayal just arrived on DVD. It played on HBO last month. I was surprised that it didn't have a theatrical release in the US but I just read that the reviews in the UK weren't great. Well, what do those critics know?!

Branagh moved the story to an English conclave in Japan. The film includes Ninjas and Sumo wrestlers. We also get to see some beautiful Japanese gardens.

The ruling king Senior is ousted by his younger brother Frederick (both are played splendidly by Brian Blessed). A short time later Frederick banishes Senior's daughter Rosiland (Bryce Dallas Howard). Frederick's daughter Celia (Romala Garai) is very close with Rosiland and leaves with her and Touchstone (Alfred Molina). Before she leaves Rosiland falls for Orlando (David Oyelowo). To complicate things Orlando's brother Oliver (Adrian Lester) sees Orlando as a rival for their father's inheritance. Oh, and Rosiland dresses up as a young male and when she meets up with Orlando she puts his love to the test. Yes, the story is a bit complicated and there are more characters. But this is Shakespeare we are talking about so you have to make an effort to understand what is going. I won't tell you more of the plot. You will have to see the film to find out what happens.

The acting is very good from all involved. Besides the people I already mentioned the cast includes Kevin Kline as Jaques (a friend of Senior's) and Janet McTeer as Touchstone's love interest Audrey. The real standouts in the film are Molina, Garai and newcomer Oyelowo. There is a terrific musical number at the end. There was a scene that reminded me of some of the musicals of the forties. In this story the motto is all's well that end's well. I recommend that you check this one out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home