Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 24, 2006

Thank You for Smoking

I must say that I had some misgivings about seeing this film. But, since the film got some great reviews I decided to take a chance. What I found was a mixed bag.

The film focuses on Nick Naylor, who is a lobbyist for the tobacco industry. We follow him as he tries to make the case for cigarette smoking. He also wants to win the love and admiration of his young son Joey (Nick and his wife are divorced). Joining Nick at lunch once a week is a lobbyist for the alcohol industry and a lobbyist for the gun industry. They call themselves the MOD Squad (Merchants of Death). During the film we see Nick on television trying to make his case; Nick trying to make a deal with a Hollywood producer regarding a film that shows actors having sex and smoking cigarettes afterwards; Nick having sex with a reporter who is trying to dish out some dirt on him.

The film is based on Christopher Buckley's satiric novel of the same name. Jason Reitman has written a screenplay filled with terrific lines. But, he got all of those lines from Buckley. I haven't read the book but I imagine that I would be laughing much of the time and there were a number of times that I laughed while I was watching the film. But, some great lines doesn't necessarily make a great film. There are a number of times when the film really sags.

The highlight of the film is Aaron Eckhart as Nick. Eckhardt is just so good at being bad. J.K. Simmons is also good as Nick's boss B.R. as is William H. Macy who plays a Vermont senator trying to get a smoking equals poison bill passed. One weak link in the acting department is Katie Holmes as the reporter. She is just not at all believable in that role.

The film (and the book) tries to make a case for people thinking for themselves and making up their own minds. That is the libertarian way of thinking (Buckley and his father William definitely fall in this category). Because of this, the film is neither anti or pro smoking. Now, I do understand that point of view. Everyone knows about the dangers of smoking and some people still choose to smoke. I don't have a problem if people want to smoke. That is their right and as long as they do it far away from me it is okay.

Bottom line: This is an okay but highly overpraised film. I don't know what the critics saw in it that I missed. Maybe it was something that they were smoking. Now, put that in your pipe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home