Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 17, 2006

V for Vendetta

When I first heard about V for Vendetta I was not very enthusiastic. I saw the first Matrix film and was so underwhelmed that I didn't bother seeing the two sequels. Happily, V for Vendetta is totally different from the Matrix.

This film has an important story to tell and is based on Alan Moore's graphic novel. The book was written in 1980 when Margaret Thatcher ruled Britain. The filmmakers decided to update the material. The action takes place in the UK but it could just as well be the US as the government keeps taking away more rights and liberties from the people each day.

Natalie Portman plays Evey Hammond who is just a regular gal living in London. Evey's consciousness is raised when she decides to break the curfew by going out at night to meet someone. She is assaulted by thugs (who seem to work for the government) and is almost molested by them when a masked figure rescues her. That strange character is, of course, V.

Things get even more complicated after V blows up the Old Bailey and kills a number of people. The government and police (who are one and the same) decide they must find this mysterious V and do away with him. In the meantime, Evey becomes linked to V and he takes her to his place of hiding to keep her safe. During the investigation the officer in charge of the case, Finch (played by an excellent Stephen Rea) uncovers certain facts and begins to doubt the government.

There is a lot of suspense in the film and to reveal much more would ruin it for people who might read this. I will say that we do find out what happened to V in the past and that helps us understand why he kills certain people. Sadly, we learn that what happened to V happened to many other people as well. There is a scene at the end of the film that really blew me away. This is a political thriller (yes, political) in every sense of the word.

The film is well directed by James McTeigue and he gives it the feel of an exhilarating roller coaster ride. It is also very well written by the Wachowski Brothers who give the characters some terrific dialogue. Ms. Portman is very good as Evey and is able to convey her emotions as she learns to stand up for what she believes in. Hugo Weaving is fine as V and I already mentioned how great Stephen Rea is (he is one of my favorite actors and I am happy to see him in such a fine film). Also splendid are Stephen Fry as Evey's boss Deitrich (who happens to have a few secrets of his own) and John Hurt as Adam Sutler, the fascistic leader. The film is beautifully shot by the late Adrian Biddle (there is a dedication to him at the end) and has a great musical score composed by Dario Marianelli.

As I said before, I don't want to say too much about this film because I would give away too many things. But, I will say that it is an important film for people to see. It shows how, because of fear, people become sheep and follow anything that their government will tell them. But, it also shows how people can change their minds and demand something else. As V says, "The people should not be afraid of the government, the government should be afraid of the people." Now, more than ever, we must heed those words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home