Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Tsotsi

The South African film Tsotsi, directed by Gavin Hood, just won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. Was it the best film that was nominated in that category? Since I haven't seen all of the foreign film nominees as of yet, I cannot say. But, it certainly is one of the best right up there with Paradise Now.

Tsotsi is base on playwright Athol Fugard's only novel. Tsotsi (which means thug) is an angry, violent teenager. He lives in a shantytown outside Jonannesburg in a run down shack. He and his friends think nothing of robbing and even killing people. One night when Tsotsi is out on his own he shoots awoman and takes her car. To his amazement there is a baby in the back seat. Tsotsi decides he wants to keep the baby and forces a young mother in the shantytown to feed the little one.

Having a baby brings up many emotions in Tsotsi. We learn what happened to him when he was a child and see how these events made him what he is today (we even find out what his real name is). At the beginning of the film I had very little sympathy for this young man but after I found out what his life was like I have to say that I felt compassion towards him. This doesn't mean that there should not be punishment for a crime that is committed but the back story helps one understand where Tsotsi is coming from.

The film is directed with passion and Hood's screenplay is well written and, happily, doesn't rely on sentimentality at the end of the story. The cinematography is beautiful and I loved the lively South African music performed by Zola (who also plays crime lord Fela in the film). And, Presley Chweneyagae is outstanding as Tsotsi.

One of the interesting things about the film is that all of the crime victims are well to do black people. The story doesn't focus on racism but rather the gulf between the classes. The film is very direct in showing us the different lives that people lead depending upon whether they are able to live in the nice neighborhoods or are forced to live in the shantytowns. When I left the theater I felt very sad but I was also thankful, despite whatever problems I might have, that I didn't live the life of Tsotsi and his friends. This film is a real eye opener and I highly recommend that people see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home