Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 24, 2006

On a Clear Day

A friend of mine took me to a preview of this film and I couldn't be more delighted (I believe it will be released in April). I am a big fan of Peter Mullan (as an actor and a director) and I also really like Brenda Blethyn.

Mullan plays Frank, a middle aged man who just got fired from his job. From what we can tell, Frank got tired of taking crap from the higher ups so they felt that it was time for him to leave. Frank won't come out and say what he feels but from his face we can tell how much he hurts inside. It is painful to watch him go to an employment agency and try to fill out an application. He just doesn't have it in him.

Frank's wife Joan decides to become a bus driver in order to help make ends meet. Their son Rob takes care of his two kids because his wife makes a lot more money than he could ever make. But, he and Frank don't get along and he feels that his father doesn't respect him.

Frank and his mates like to go swimming. At some point Frank decides he wants to swim the English Channel. Yes, this does seem like an impossible feat for a middle aged man, even if he is a good swimmer. But, Frank goes into heavy training and by the time he is ready for his swim everyone is rooting for him.

I found this film highly inspirational and, on some level, I related to Frank. The swim is symbolic as Frank could have picked anything to challenge himself. The main thing was that he actually challenged himself because losing one's job can be demoralizing and you can start doubting yourself on many levels.

Gaby Dellal does a nice job in her directorial debut and Alex Rose's script hits all the right notes.
Mullan is wonderful as Frank. His world weary face lets us see the inner workings of the man. The always reliable Blethyn is great as Joan. There is a scene where they are eating dinner and she is really angry with him. They don't have to say a word to convey what is going on in their hearts. Frank's mates are well played by Billy Boyd, Ron Cook, Benedict Wong and the wonderful Irish actor Sean McGinley. They have all had there share of blows and Frank's swimming the Channel will be a victory for them as well. Jamie Sives as Rob also puts in a fine performance.

My only complaint is that I wish the film took a bit more time in exploring the relationship between Frank and Joan. I wanted to know more about them as a couple. But, this is a film that goes to the heart and I do hope that people will go and see it when it opens up in the U.S.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home