Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

DVD Review - Memoirs of a Geisha

When I first heard about Memoirs of a Geisha I had doubts about it. I was not a fan of Chicago and I didn't think that Rob Marshall would do a good job of directing this film. The fact that most of the reviews were not that good just confirmed these feelings and I decided to skip the theatrical run of the film and wait for the DVD. After watching the film on DVD I must say that despite some flaws I liked this film.

The story is of a young woman named Chiyo who is sold to one of the Geisha houses because her parents can no longer take care of her and her sister (her sister does not fare as well and becomes a prostitute but winds up escaping). Chiyo's life is filled with hardship as she struggles to learn the ropes of Geishahood. In addition, she falls out of favor with the wicked Hatsumomo who is top Geisha in the house. Despite the fact that Chiyo is much younger and has quite a ways to go Hatsumomo sees her as a threat because of Chiyo's great beauty. Chiyo gets into trouble because of an incident set up by Hatsumomo and as a result becomes the servant girl of one of the elder women who runs the house. Chiyo is feeling very gloomy but one day as she is walks around town a man notices her and buys her a sweet ice to cheer her up. He also gives her his handkerchief and his kindness is something that she never forgets. She vows that somehow one day they will meet again.

After a while Chiyo's luck begins to change. Mameha, who is Hatsumomo's rival Geisha, offers to train Chiyo and guarantees to pay off the debt that Chiyo owes. Mameha renames Chiyo Sayuri.
Before you know it, she is the top Geisha and Hatsumomo tries to get back at her by training Sayuri's former friend Pumpkin to be her rival.

While entertaining various clients Sayuri once again meets the man who gave her the handkerchief. He is known as The Chairman. His business partner takes quite a fancy to Sayuri but he shows no interest.

World War II comes and Sayuri has to hide in the country for several years. After the war she is persuaded to go back to being a Geisha in order to help raise funds for The Chairman and his friend to rebuild their business. At this point, I am not going to reveal any more of the plot because I don't want to give away what happens in the last part of the film.

I really learned quite a bit about the Geisha way of life. I felt very sorry for those women because they could never have a normal life with a man. I was moved by this film and at the end I had tears in my eyes. Zizi Zhang was very good as Chiyo/Sayuri and Michelle Yeoh (Mameha) and Ken Watanabe (The Chairman) were fine in their roles. Best of all was Li Gong a Hatsumomo. The viciousness just oozes out of her! The film is gorgeous to look at and the musical score is beautiful. Oh, and I must not forget to mention those beautiful costumes.

Yes, the all the accents sound different but oddly enough, that didn't bother me. What I didn't like was that at the beginning of the film people are talking in Japanese and there weren't any subtitles. That was a no-no. The film is a bit too long and could have been trimmed and tightened up. Marshall did a good job of directing the film but I think with a different director it could have been a great film. Since I didn't read Arthur Golden's book I can't say how Robin Swicord's script compares with it. But, even at almost two and a half hours, I was never bored.

Bottom line: This is film is good but far from perfect. But, the way some critics raked it over the coals made is sound like trash. It certainly is not that at all. It is a heartfelt story of women who live a subservient way of life because they have no other choice. However, it is also a story of a great love and how that love can heal. And, that is what I liked most about this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home