Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Secrets & I've Loved You So Long

Today I saw two good movies in which women were the central characters.

The first film is entitled The Secrets. It takes place (mostly) in the ancient city of Zfat in Israel. Noemi (Aria Bukstein) loves to learn Torah and Talmud with her father. That is unusual in the very Orthodox circles. After her mother dies she decides to postpone her marriage and attend a seminary in Zfat.

Once there she meets the rebellious Michal (Michal Shtamler). At first they don't get along. But they are asked to bring food to a sick woman named Anouk (Fanny Ardant) who lives hear the seminary. During this time they become closer. Fanny has her own demons and wants the two younger women to help her cleanse her soul.

The Secrets is a most interesting film. I was engrossed all of the time. The acting by the three women is very strong. And the film makes a case against the strictness of the Orthodox teaching against women. The only thing I was disappointed in was the film's ending. I would have preferred that it ended differently. But I realize that Nesher's ending was the more realistic one. Perhaps I am just a dreamer to think that things just might end the other way.

I've Loved You So Long is a marvelous film about redemption and second chances. Kristen Scott Thomas is outstanding as Juliette. Juliette has just been released from prison after serving fifteen years for killing her young son. Her younger sister Lea (Elsa Zylberstein) comes to pick her up. Juliette will be living with Lea and her family until she gets her life straightened out.

Juliette feels awkward staying there and Lea's husband isn't thrilled with the idea. But Lea's daughters are happy to find a long lost aunt. It is hard for Juliette to adjust to life on the outside. She tries to find a job and also gets to meet Lea's friends. All this time Juliette's secret is kept mostly on the inside. We don't find out what really happens until the end of the film. But when we do the pieces of the puzzle fit.

Claudel is to be commended on his directorial debut. He is primarily a writer. He created a true to life portrait of a woman trying to piece her life together. Thomas's emotions are totally etched on her face. You not only know how she feels you can actually fell it. And Zylberstein is also terrific as the kind but puzzled sister. For me this was a tale of sisterly love and just how powerful and important that love is. Yes, this is a very real story (even if the film is fiction).

I recommend both films and I will say that Thomas and maybe even Zylberstein should be looking at Oscar nominations come January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home