Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Australia

Baz Luhrman's Australia is an epic romantic adventure. Sure it is too long and it gets a little schmaltzy but I must say that I liked it.

The story takes place around the time of World War II in Darwin - which is in the outback of Australia. Lady Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman) leaves her comfortable English home to see what her husband Lord Ashley is up to. Well, let's just say he is not around (in a sense) when she gets there. But she decides that this land belongs to her and she is going to fight for it. King Carney (Bryan Brown) wants to own all of the cattle land and he aims to get Sarah's too.

Helping Sarah with her quest is Driver (Hugh Jackman), a rough gem of a man. Sarah gets quite attached to a young half breed boy named Nullah (Brandon Walters) who has a mystical grandfather called King George (David Gulpilil of Walkabout fame).

Yes, we know that Sarah and Drover fall for each other. But it is still nice to see some old fashioned romance up there on the screen. I won't tell you more about the story but I will give you an idea of its awards chances. It has a good shot of being nominated in the technical categories. It is beautiful to look at. Kidman is good but not as good as she was in The Hours. And the best actress race looks very crowded. Jackman is charismatic but has no chance of a nomination. I also doubt it for best picture and director.

The supporting players are all good. But the real stand out in the film is young Walters. He is really amazing and I hope to see more of him in the future.

The film also sends a message to us as to the plight of the Aborigines. As with the Maoris in New Zealand and Native Americans right here in the US, white Europeans felt that it was there duty to make these indigenous people conform to their ways. Ah, what a mistake that is. I just saw the DVD of River Queen last night and that takes place in New Zealand. I recommend both films and I think that they are good companion films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home