Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 21, 2008

Nothing But the Truth

Nothing But the Truth is a good film and should be released in March or April when we are longing to see some good films. But the Yari Group is releasing it next month in hopes of Oscar glory. Big mistake. This film is not an Oscar film - at least not to me.

The film is loosely based on the Valerie Plame/Judith Miller incident. Kate Beckinsale plays Rachel Armstrong, a journalist who has written a story incriminating the President of some bad goings on. In the article she exposes a CIA agent named Erica van Doren (Very Famiga). As you can imagine, this creates quite a scandal. But Rachel will absolutely not reveal her source. Because of this she goes to jail and stays there for quite some time. All of this causes her marriage to unravel.

The film is suspenseful and I was never bored. Beckinsale is pretty good in her role but not great. Matt Dillon and Alan Aldabot give good performances as the prosectur Dubois (Dillon) and Bob Dylan's problem. The wonderful Angela Bassett is wasted. But Vera Farmiga steals the show in her smallish role. Her acting is on a leval different

There were a few things that I didn't like about the film but I can't tell you what they were. I found the ending a cop out. But all in all it is a good film that deserves a decent audience.

1 Comments:

Blogger regaldad said...

The ending, in my mind, is pure genius - it leaves you with so many thoughts about her motivation. It could either be her empathy or her absolute belief in what she is doing. And Beckinsale is fantastic.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home