Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, February 19, 2007

DVD Review - Take the Lead

Take the Lead is not a bad film. But it is not what I would call a good one either. It is very likeable but it just doesn't go far enough.

It takes your typical story of troubled teens who need a savior and mixes in some very good dance numbers. The film is based on the true story of Pierre Dulaine, who is a professional dance instructor and a fabulous dancer. Antonio Banderas plays Dulaine and he does a very good job of making his character real. At first the students are not interested in this type of dancing but they eventually warm up to the idea. Most of them have problems at home so this is good for their self esteem.

All of the actors who play the students are good as is Alfre Woodard as the school's principal. But there are times when the film falls flat. I blame director Liz Friedlander and screenwriter Dianne Houston for this. If Take the Lead had better writing and direction it would have been a good film. Because of Friedlander's and Houston's lack of flair the film comes up short.

But I am still glad that I rented it because I enjoyed all of the dance numbers. And I liked watching Banderas. I think it is about time he was given a role with a little more meat on its bones (ah, remember how good he was in Pedro Almodovar's films?).

The real Dulaine is profiled in the bonus section of the DVD. If you want to find out more about Dulaine and his dance programs, which are now integrated in many schools in New York City and expanding around the country, then I suggest that you rent the wonderful documentary Mad Hot Ballroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home