Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, February 10, 2007

DVD Review - Word Play

Patrick Creadon's very interesting documentary focuses on the people who create the complicated New York Times crossword puzzles and those who become addicted to them.

Will Shortz is the editor of the paper's crossword page and we find out quite a bit about him.
He always wanted to create puzzles and didn't care if he made any money. He was more interested in following his passion (good for him). Fortunately for him he doesn't have to worry about the money.

Several celebrity crossword puzzle solvers - including Bill Clinton, Jon Stewart and Ken Burns - are interviewed. The last part of the film presents the American Crossword Puzzle Championship and we follow several of the competitors as they gear up for the contest.

Although I don't do crossword puzzles I enjoyed the film because I am into words. The competition didn't have the same type of suspense as the spelling bee in Spellbound had. But it is still a very entertaining film that shows us how wonderful the English language is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home