Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Breaking and Entering

This Anthony Minghella written and directed film paints a realistic picture of several people's lives in modern day London. And it is not afraid to show how class affects the day to day existence of these characters.

Will (Jude Law) is a successful architect. He lives with his longtime partner Liv (Robin Wright Penn) who suffers from depression. Liv's daughter Bea (Poppy Rogers) is also somewhat disturbed. Will's home life is quite complicated.

Will and his business partner Sandy (Martin Freeman) have just set up a new office in the King's Cross section of the city (not a very nice neighborhood). Unfortunately, word has gotten around the neighborhood about the new business and there are several robberies. Will manages to track down one of the robbers, a boy named Miro (Rafi Gavron) who is Bosnian. This leads will to the boy's mother Amira (Juliette Binoche) who works as a seamstress. After a while Will and Amira get involved.

I found Breaking and Entering to be a really intense relationship film. It is a film of the heart. Most of the characters are in some type of pain. And the film explores how people live depending upon their social class. This film is totally believable.

The acting is truly outstanding. Many times I have felt that Law was miscast in a role. But here he is terrific in his most mature role to date. Wright Penn is excellent as Liv bringing a great deal of sadness to the role. And Binoche is amazing. Her accent is perfect. She is simply one of the best actresses working today. Gavron is very good, as is Rogers. Vera Farmiga has a wickedly funny turn as a prostitute named Oana that Will befriends. And Ray Winstone and Juliet Stevenson are wonderful in their small roles. The other character that I loved is the city of London, which is one of my favorite places in the world. It brought back memories of when I had to take the tube from King's Cross station back to my hotel.

I just can't understand why so many critics dismissed this film. Perhaps it was a bit too emotional for some of them. For me this is a great film and I highly recommend it. If you like films about complex relationships then Breaking and Entering is a film for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home