Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 08, 2006

DVD Review - Dead Man's Shoes

The main reason I wanted to see this film is because I greatly admire Paddy Considine as an actor. I have seen him in Cinderella Man, My Summer of Love and In America and in each of these films he has wonderful, underrated performances. So I looked forward to seeing this film.

The film is also co-written by Considine with director Shane Meadows and Paul Fraser. I saw some of Meadows previous films and I feel that he has a great deal of potential as a filmmaker. Dead Man's is difficult to get involved in but if one has patience they will be rewarded.

Considine's character Richard has just gotten back from the army. He is carrying around a lot of anger because of the abuse inflicted upon his younger, mentally challenged brother Anthony (Toby Kebbell) by some local thugs. Instead of going to the police Richard decides to take things into his own hands and wreaks vengeance on those who did his brother harm.

One of the problems with this film is that you cannot understand what many of the characters are saying because of their thick accents. At the very least they should have provided subtitles on the DVD. This really takes away from the film and I found my mind wandering from time to time. I also found the plot a bit disjointed. But you must sit through the entire film and then you will see that everything makes sense. The film is a compact 86 minutes long and the last 25 minutes are absolutely riveting.

Once again Considine gives a terrific performance. The rage seems to be coming out of his nostrils. Meadows did a good job directing the film and I look forward to seeing what he does in the future. And Danny Cohen's cinematography of the English countryside is breathtaking.

All in all, this is a very decent film about brotherly love and justice. You just have to get through a few hurdles before you see how worthwhile it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home