Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 01, 2006

Factotum

Factotum based on a highly autobiographical novel by Charles Bukowski. Before I tell you more about the film let me tell you what a factotum is. It is a person who has many jobs but doesn't like any of them. I think that this would describe many people out there.

Now back to the film. Henry Chinaski (Matt Dillon) is first and foremost a writer. Unfortunately, he can't make a living doing what he loves. So he drifts from job to job but never finds one where he feels at home. Besides just being bored at his various places of work Henry has a serious drinking problem. He thinks nothing of taking a drinking break during the work day and that, obviously, does not please any of his bosses.

Along the way Henry meets Jan (Lili Taylor) and moves in with her in a few days. She shares his passion for drinking and sex. However, when Henry gets a job that he can tolerate Jan seems to lose interest. The two eventually part ways which leaves Henry having to find another place to hang his head. While having a drink in a bar he meets Laura (Marisa Tomei) and he goes off with her that night. Laura has some very strange friends and her relationship with Henry doesn't last very long. And that is as far as I will go in telling you the story.

The film is directed by Norwegian Bent Hamer (who made the charming film Kitchen Stories).
For the most part he does a good job but every once in a while things sag a bit. Hamer co-wrote the screenplay with producer Jim Stark and I truly enjoyed the deadpan humor that comes through. The dialog is good except in a few places and I really liked Henry's poetic voiceovers.
Dillon is very believable in his portrayal of Henry, a man who is very talented but is trapped in a society that doesn't like to reward people's true gifts. He takes to drinking to stifle his pain and frustration. This role brought to mind an earlier film of Dillon's Drugstore Cowboy which focuses on another man with an addiction. Taylor is terrific as the hardened Jan. I just wanted to know a bit more about her and why she wound up the way she did. Tomei sizzles in her small role as the boozy Laura.

I think that the film says something about making choices. Most people make the choice of working in jobs that are mind numbing and dead end. But they continue to do so because they want to have a place to live and food on the table. Henry chose to be sometimes homeless and hungry because his burning passion was to write and he just couldn't compromise who he was.
I certainly do not condone or approve of alcoholism. And, yes, in the past I have done things I didn't like to keep a roof over my head and I might have to more of those types of things in the future. But I have to say that in some ways I admired Henry for staying true to his vision even though he had to suffer in so many ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home