Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, August 18, 2006

Family Values - Little Miss Sunshine

I must say that I was very reluctant to see this film. I had seen two trailers and I thought that this film looked too sitcomish for my taste. But the reviews for this film were excellent and few people told me that they really liked the film so I decided to take a chance. And boy am I glad that I did.

Little Miss Sunshine is the story of a dysfunctional family. Richard Greg Kinnear) is the head of the household and earns his living by being a motivational speaker. But he doesn't seem to be too successful at his vocation. His wife Sheryl (Toni Colette) is the one who appears to be the strongest and tries to keep things together. Their son Dwayne (Paul Dano) wants to become a pilot and has taken a vow of silence. Their daughter Olive (Abigail Breslin) is obsessed with beauty contests and hopes to eventually win one. Richard's heroin sniffing, foul mouthed father (Alan Arkin) lives with them. Also joining them is Sheryl's gay brother Frank (Steve Carrell) who was just released from the hospital after a suicide attempt. I think that you get a clear picture of the family.

Some time ago Olive was the runner up in a preliminary Little Miss Sunshine contest. Sheryl and Frank's sister Cindy calls to tell them that the winner of the contest had to bow out and Olive can now participate in the finals. This is what Olive has been waiting for. She has been practicing with a routine with the assistance of her Grandpa and is ready to roll. The problem is how to get there as the family lives in New Mexico and the contest is in California. Despite lack of funds and other obstacles the family decides that all of them should go and everyone piles into their dilapidated van.

On their way to California many things happen that could deter them from their goal. But they somehow overcome each and every one of them and make it to the contest. I was very surprised at something that happens on their journey and you will be too. But the family handled it with a great deal of dignity.

Many people are singling out one actor or another as a possible awards contender. I don't agree with this assessment. Each and every one of the actors was wonderful and they work as a unit. So if this film would get any acting consideration it would be as an ensemble. Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris do a great job of directing as they knew how to get terrific performances out of all of the actors. Michael Arndt's screenplay is very well written and smoothly blends humor and sadness.

In the end Little Miss Sunshine is about family values. This is a family that sticks together through thick and thin. It also has a few lessons for us. One is that our view of beauty is out of whack (during the contest just compare the fresh faced Olive to the other contestants who are all variations on JonBenet Ramsey). Another lesson is on the way we measure success and failure. Failure makes us stronger and there can be no success without it. And what is real success? Giving things a try and not giving up easily. While it is true that the family in this film may be a little over the top I would venture to say they are closer to what real people are like than the rich and famous who are constantly shoved down our throats every day. I highly recommend this film to anyone who wants a lift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home