Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 26, 2006

DVD Review - Brick

This film got some very positive reviews when it was theatrically released earlier this year. Writer/director Rian Johnson was hailed because he made a great "noir" film. I did not get to see the film in the theater but with all of the hoopla surrounding this film I couldn't wait to rent the DVD. After all, I love "noir" films and good detective stories.

All I can say that I was beyond disappointed. I can't believe that this film got such raves. I wanted to shut the film off after an hour but I felt obligated to see it through and write about it. It is about a murder and it tries to be a detective story but it fails miserably.

Brendan (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) wants to find out who killed his ex-girlfriend. When he finds her body he doesn't go to the police. He hides it and sets out on a quest for justice. What happens during his quest is ugly beyond belief. Brendan is beaten up several times. At first I had sympathy for him but after a while the whole thing got tired. All of this has to drugs (big surprise) and the head kingpin is named Pin (Lukas Haas). By the way, these students go to an upscale high school. But nobody ever seems to be in school. There is not one scene showing anyone in a classroom or doing any homework. And where are their parents? The truth is I couldn't care less. There is not one character of worth in the whole film. And the dialog is truly awful.

Gordon-Levitt is a talented actor. He was terrific in Mysterious Skin. But in this film you can't understand a word that he says because he is mumbling. As for Johnson, it is possible that he will make a good film in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath. Some people compared this film to Donnie Darko and I guess there is a similarity. They are both highly overrated films. Do you yourself a favor and skip this one. You will be happy that you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home