Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 15, 2006

DVD Review - Ballets Russes

This outstanding documentary is lovingly directed by Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine. It traces the formation of the Ballets Russes in the first part of the 20th century to its last performance in the early 1960s.

Many members of this dance troupe were originally from Russia but had to leave during the Revolution but there were members from other parts of the world as well. There is some terrific footage of the troupe performing. But things were not all a bed of roses. There was rivalry between two factions and the original group broke into two troupes. One was called the Original Ballet Russes and the other one was called The Ballet Russes of Monte Carlo. We follow the ups and downs of both troupes throughout the years. There are also interviews with some former members that took place in this new century (sadly some of them have passed on after the making of this film). They are all in the 80s (and one is even 90) and it sheer joy to hear them reminisce about their days as part of the Ballet Russes. We find out many interesting facts such as how they came to hire the first Native American ballerina and the sad tale of the black ballerina who had to leave the troupe because the KKK confronted them when they toured the southern part of the US.

I don't want to say anything else. I think that people should just listen to what these wonderful people have to say. Even if you don't like ballet (I do and I have seen a number of live performance in my younger days) you can't help but have a smile on your face when you hear them speak. This is a very uplifting film and made me realize how important it is to have passion in your life. It is the thing that keeps us all going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home