Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, June 16, 2006

DVD Review - Funny Games

Prior to seeing this film I had seen three of Michael Haneke's films - Code Unknown, The Piano Teacher and Cache (Hidden). Each one of these films is excellent. This earlier film left me with mixed feelings.

Anna, Georg, their young son and dog arrive at their lake house for a few weeks of vacation. As they drive by their neighbors' house things seem a bit strange. The neighbors do not appear to be themselves and there are some young men with them that Anna and Georg do not recognize. As Anna starts to unpack their food father and son go to check out the boat. A few minutes later one of the young men from the neighbors' house (his name is Peter) knocks on the door and asks Anna if he could borrow some eggs as Anna's friend needs them. Anna gives him the eggs but they fall on the floor and break. He asks for more eggs. Anna is perplexed but she gives him four more eggs. While he is waiting for the eggs Anna's cell phone "accidentally" drops into the sink which is filled with water. As time goes on Peter's friend Paul comes to the house and asks if he could borrow one of the golf clubs for a few minutes. Anna says yes but after a few minutes Anna becomes suspicious. By that time Georg and their son come back and all hell starts to break loose. Before you know it Peter and Paul have taken the family hostage and start to play a series of sadistic games. I won't say any more because I don't want to give things away.

This is definitely one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen (note: This film is in German. Haneke is supposed to make an English language version of the film starring Naomi Watts but I wonder if that is really necessary). The film is very suspenseful and I wanted to see what happens to the family. But at the same time I couldn't wait for the film to end. Haneke does a very good job of directing the film as each detail is played out perfectly. All of the acting is good and Susanne Lothar is outstanding as Anna. But I was wondering what the actual purpose of the film was. That was answered by Haneke himself in an interview that is on the DVD. He said that he is making a statement about how we are all being manipulated by violence in films (as indeed we are). This film is not for everyone. But the fact that I still get the chills thinking about it (hours after seeing it) means that it worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home