Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Cannes Film Festival Update #5

Here are a few words on the last films that were screened in competition.

The Right of the Weakest

This film takes place in Belgium and is directed by Lucas Belvaux. It focuses on four men, a woman and a child who seem to be down on their luck. It is a story of people who have no work, hope or future but still cling to the possibility of something happening for them. I have not seen any reviews of this film so I don't know if there is any possibility of it winning anything. But the fact that it is being ignored is not a good sign.

The Singer

This film, which is directed by Xavier Giannoli, is the story of an aging dancehall singer (Gerard Depardieu). As he appeals to older women he makes his living by playing at homes for the elderly. One day he meets a young woman named Marion (Cecile de France) and falls in love with her. I have not heard much about this film. You would think that a film with Depardieu,
who is certainly one of the greatest actors around, would produce more buzz. I would have to say that this film will probably not win anything but there could always be a surprise in the best actor category.

Pan's Labyrinth

This bloody fairytale is directed by Guillermo del Toro. It takes place in Fascist era Spain and is about a young girl who thinks that she is the reincarnation of a princess of an underworld kingdom. This film is a fantasy and it is rare that a film in this genre is in the Cannes compeition. The film has had a good response and it could take home a prize. Award or not, I am looking forward to this film because I thought that del Toro's The Devil's Backbone was terrific and I expect that this film might also be great.

Buenos Aires 1977

This film is directed by Israel Adrian Caetano. It is the story of several young men who are imprisoned and escape torture during Argentina's military dictatorship. The film is based on a book written by Claudio Tamburrini who spent 120 days in prison during that period of time. One of the men is played by Rodrigo de la Serna who was magnificent as Che's buddy Alberto in The Motorcyle Diaries. I understand that de la Serna is terrific in this film as well. I have a feeling that either he or the film will walk away with a prize. This film has really peaked my interest and I can't wait until it is released in the US.

The awards will be given out tomorrow and I will post the winners on this blog.

In the meantime, the Fipresci winners were announced earlier today. Here they are:

In Competion - Climate (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
Critic's Week - Bug (William Friedkin)
Un Certain Regard - Hamaca Paraguaya (Paz Encina)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home