Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Cannes Film Festival Update

I want to say a word about some of the films in competition at this year's Cannes Film Festival. This is based on what I have read. Oh yes, I wish I were there and, perhaps, one day I will be. But for now, here are a few comments on some of the films.

Summer Palace

This film is directed by Lou Ye and it takes place in the late 1980s. The film has a political bent because the backdrop is China's demonstrations that took place at that time. This culminated with the massacre at Tiananmen Square. It also focuses on the love story between two of the protesters. It sounds like a lovely and interesting film but the reviews have been mixed so I don't know if this is a film that will be remembered next week when the awards are given out. Summer Palace is the only Asian film in this year's competition and I read that the Chinese censors might pull the film out of the festival.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley

I am a huge Ken Loach fan and I always look forward to a new film by this wonderful director. This film takes place in Ireland in the 1920s during the time that Ireland was fighting for its freedom from Britain. The wonderful Cillian Murphy plays a young doctor who becomes involved in the upheaval. I love Irish films and films that have to do with Irish politics. I know that this can be a hard sell but I think that films that deal with particular events in history should be seen by as many people as possible. The way the film unfolds sounds reminiscent of my favorite film by Loach, Land and Freedom. As of yesterday, the film did not have a US distributor but I hope that changes by the time the festival ends. I have read that the critics gave this film a great deal of applause during a screening but some of the reviews I read were not great. So, I don't know what this film's potential is regarding getting an award.

Fast Food Nation

This film by Richard Linklater is based on a best selling book of the same name written by Eric Schlosser. I never read the book because as a vegetarian for many years I am well aware of what goes on at slaughterhouses and what is in the food that is served in the fast food restaurants. But I was glad that the book was so popular and I will almost certainly see the film when it arrives in theaters in the US. The film has an ensemble cast which includes Catalina Sandino Moreno, Ethan Hawke and Greg Kinnear. I know that it focuses on the terrible working conditions for fast food workers and, as I mentioned above, how things are done at slaughterhouses. The film has gotten some good reviews but from what I've seen I think that the reviews are mostly a mixed bag. As of now, I don't see this film getting an award but I could be wrong. In any case, if this film helps turn people into vegetarians then it did its job.

Volver

Pedro Almodovar's latest film was a big hit in Spain. It focuses on two sisters played by Penelope Cruz and Lola Duenas (Talk to Her, The Sea Inside) who are visited by the ghost of their mother (Carmen Maura). The daughters have their problems and their mother is trying to help their lives improve in ways that only a mother (especially a ghost) can do. The film is a comedy but from what I've read there is a lot of tenderness and even tears in the film. Almodovar really knows how to write roles for women and and it sounds like the characters in this film are some of his best. I have a feeling that this film will touch the same nerves that All About My Mother did. I have been a fan of Almodovar's since the late 80s and I love the fact that as he matured so have his films (starting with Live Flesh). I read that this film had a very long standing ovation in Cannes. Out of the four films that I have written about this is the one that will almost definitely get a big prize. I don't know if it will be for the film, for Almodovar or for Cruz but it will be something big. The film opens up in the US in October and I can't wait to see it. Viva Pedro!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are your thoughts on "Babel" and "Marie Antoinette"? Both are in competition with "Volver" and "Fast Food Nation."

8:44 AM  
Blogger Film Fanatic said...

The concept of Babel fascinates me.
The film has a similar style to Amores Perroes and 21 Grams. But Brad Pitt's presence worries me a bit. I have never found him to be a great actor. It is possible that
he is good in this film. I am thinking that it might take a screenplay award. I have heard that Marie Antoinette has gotten some good reviews from the press in France. There are some critics who did not love the film. From what I've seen the look of the film is beautiful. However,this is not enough to make a great film. Someone on imdb said that the film is gorgeous but shallow. I never thought that Kirsten Dunst was a great actress and a punk rock soundtrack in a period piece doesn't thrill me. But I will reserve judgement until I see the film. If it is embraced it could win one of the big awards. We will know more about both films soon.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Film Fanatic said...

I can't say I'm looking forward to MA. It might be great but I don't like punk takes on history. I will keep an open mind and I will see it unless the reviews are very bad. In the clip I saw from Babel Cate Blanchett just chews Brad up.
Even if his performance is good he just can't compare to her. Thanks for the info on the Cannes site. I will check it out.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home