Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 27, 2006

DVD Review - Nobody Knows Anybody

One of the reasons I wanted to this film is because it is directed by Mateo Gil. Gil, with Alejandro Amenabar, wrote the screenplay for Amenabar's award winning film The Sea Inside as well as the smash hit The Others (Amenabar wrote the musical score for Nobody Knows Anybody).

Simon (Eduardo Noriega) is a crossword puzzle writer for a newspaper. He is also trying to write a novel. Whenever he writes one of his crossword puzzles his roommate Toad (Jordi Molla) helps him out. Toad is a teacher and also a writer. Since it is holy week in Seville Simon wants to gear his crossword puzzle to reflect that theme. Simon is shocked and frightened when he receives a cryptic and threatening message on his answering machine telling him that a certain word must appear in his next crossword puzzle or there will be dire consequences. Simon decides to investigate the situation and finds himself involved in a wicked game that is the brainchild of someone who is very close to him.

I won't say more because I don't want to spoil the suspense. Gil certainly is not as good a director as Amenabar but he managed to make an entertaining film. I really enjoyed it and I recommend it to anyone who wants to see a good psychological thriller from Spain that has quite a few interesting twists.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amenabar also wrote the music for The Others.

The Cinema Kid

7:47 AM  
Blogger Film Fanatic said...

I know that. And The Sea Inside as well.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home