Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 08, 2006

When Do We Eat?

I saw this film as a preview and, boy, am I glad that I didn't have to pay for it. The story, which was written by director Salvador Litvak and his wife Nina Davidovich, is supposed to be funny but most of the film borders on the ridiculous.

Michael Lerner plays Ira, the head of the family who earns his living selling Christmas decorations. A Holocaust survivor, he got into the business to honor the Christian who hid him during the war. Lesley Ann Warren plays his long suffering wife Peggy. Between them they have four children - one son who just became an ultra-Orthodox Hassid; one son who is a drug addict; another son who is autistic and a daughter who is a sexual surrogate. There is also daughter from Ira's first marriage who is a lesbian and has a black girlfriend.

Almost the entire film takes place around the Seder table at Passover time. Besides all of the above mentioned characters add in Ira's elderly father (played by Jack Klugman), Peggy's sexy cousin and a rugged Israeli who put up the special tent for Passover and has an eye on Peggy and what do you get? A big fat Jewish mess!!! Every character has a story. There is not one positive person amongst the bunch. The plot really goes over the top when the druggie son slips Ira a tab of ecstasy. Ira starts to imagine many things including the three wise men who are there to lend a hand. Oy vey, what schmaltz!!

I wonder what this couple were thinking of when they wrote the screenplay. The film is filled with enough stereotypes to make people who don't know any Jews wonder if all of us are like that. I will say that towards the end there are some touching moments but, all in all, this Seder left me with indigestion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home