Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Yellow Handkerchief

The Yellow Handkerchief is a lovely little film directed by Udayan Prasad. The film is based on a short story by Pete Hamil with a screenplay by Erin Dignam. The story is updated to the time shortly after Hurricane Katrina. William Hurt plays a man named Brett who was just released from jail. He meets up with two young people - Martine (Kristen Stewart) and Gordy (Eddie Redmayne). Both of them have their own issues.

The three of them take a sort of short road trip. During the course of the film we see flashbacks of Brett and his wife May (Maria Bello). Later on we find out what happened with May and why Brett was in jail.

The Yellow Handkerchief rolls out at a leisurely pace. I knew how the film would end but that didn't matter because I still had tears in my eyes. Redmayne's character got on my nerves a bit but Stewart was okay. Bello was very good. She is certainly an underrated actress. And Hurt was wonderful. He once again proves what a fine actor he is.

So, if you can't find this small film in your local theater rent it when it comes out on DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home