Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

DVD Mini Review - Shadowboxer

I will say a few words about the above mentioned film. I had wanted to see it for a while. However, I really wanted to see it after I saw director Lee Daniels latest film Precious: Based on a Novel by Sapphire. I thought that Precious was terrific (and I am not the only one) and wanted to see an earlier work by the director.

While Shadowboxer is not up to the standard of Precious I think it is a good film and I certainly liked. I was entertained and never bored.

Mikey (Cuba Gooding, Jr.) has lived a rough life. His father was a criminal and his mother died when he was young. Rose (Helen Mirren) has been his protector and lover for quite some time. They are hitmen(women). Rose is dying of cancer and she is going to do one last job. A vicious crime boss named Clayton Mayfield (Stephen Dorff) wants his wife Vicki (Vanessa Ferlito) killed. But when Rose sees that Vicki is pregnant she just can't go through with it. So she, Vicki and Mikey head for the suburbs. But can this escape be successful. Ah, dear friends, you will have to see the film to find out.

Mirren and Gooding, Jr. might sound like a strange pair but it works. The other strange pairing that I liked was Dr. Don (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Precious (Mo'Nique). Odd but interesting. Add Macy Gray as Vicki's friend Neisha and you have quite a cast.

Mirren is always wonderful and this film is no exception. Gooding, Jr. did his best work in a long time. All of the actors were spot on too. And the film shows Daniels' potential as a filmmaker. The film did not get good reviews. I can't understand it but then again I sometimes don't understand the critics. The film has a lot of sex and violence. But if you want something a bit different then rent this film.

By the way, in the film Mo'Nique plays a character named Precious. It is interesting to note that she is in Daniels' film Precious and plays the mother from hell Mary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home