Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, February 19, 2010

District 9 (DVD) and Shutter Island

I will say a few words about the two films listed above. I am not really in the mood to write but I like to (and try to) say something about all of the films that I see.

District 9, directed by Neill Blomkamp and produced by Peter Jackson, is an entertaining science fiction film that takes place in South Africa. Aliens have landed and they are sent to live in townships. They are not treated well at all. In fact they are being experimented on. The global business conglomerate Multi National United is behind all of this. Wikus van de Merwe (Shalro Copeley) is assigned to have them evicted from where they live. But something happens to him that takes the story in a different direction.

Now, I will say that Blomkamp made a good film. It is original and it even has a message (townships, labor camps, experiments). And Copeley is great as Merwe. He carries the film on his shoulders. I look forward to seeing what these to do in the future. However, I do not think this is an Oscar quality film and I don't see how it was nominated for a Best Picture prize. I recommend seeing the film - by all means do so. But I think that the Oscars have become a joke. There are a number of films on their list that shouldn't be there.

Shutter Island was supposed to be an "Oscar" film this year but it was pushed back and it was just released. Will it be up for awards next year? I don't think so. But I must say that I liked the film. I read the book (by Dennis Lehane) so I knew what to expect.

Teddy Daniels (Leonardo di Caprio) and his partner Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo) are headed to Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of one of the mental hospital's "patients." Upon their arrival they meet Dr. Cawley (Ben Kingsley) and later on Dr. Naehring (Max von Sydow). They are psychiatrists who have their own ways of treating these dangerous patients (inmates). Right away you know that something is not right and after you see the whole film you think back and it all falls into place.

Now some people are bashing director Martin Scorsese. Why? Because he didn't come up with another masterpiece. Well, not every film can be a masterpiece. And while Shutter Island may not be his best work it is an intelligent psychological thriller.
I don't think that di Caprio is always the most emotionally compelling actor but he is very good as Daniels. Ruffalo and Kingsley are really good as well. And the legendary von Sydow shines in his small role. Also terrific in small roles are Michelle Williams, Emily Mortimer, Patricia Clarkson, Jackie Earle Haley and Ted Levine.

I won't say much about the plot. It is compelling and it makes you think. And it is certainly better than most of the films that come out of Hollywood these days.

Note: A.O. Scott wrote a very bad pan of the film in the NY Times. I don't understand how Scott (and Manhola Daris) can be so influential. In the last few years the Times has really gone down in quality. So it is no surprise that they have these two as their main film critics (theater critic Ben Brantley is in the same category as far as I'm concerned). I just wish people wouldn't take their word as law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home