Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 25, 2009

Nine

Nine is actually better than I thought it would be. Based on the Broadway musical of the same name (which is based on Fellini's 8 1/2) the film isn't half bad. But, it could have been even better.

I did not like Rob Marshall's directing style. I think that if Julie Taymor (for example) had directed the film it would have been better. Most of the songs are not standouts. The only really good song is Be Italian. I don't know how some people have gone nuts over this score. But, getting back to Marshall, he made the film too glitzy for my taste.

Now onto the acting. Daniel Day-Lewis has been panned in many quarters. He was more than decent as Guido Contini. His accent was good and I although he didn't always feel Italian I think that he did a pretty good job. He would not be my first choice for the role - Javier Bardem would have been better but he dropped out. Antonio Banderas, who was in the Broadway revival, would have been good. But DDL did not deserve the drubbing that he got in many quarters. But because he is DDL he is held to a very high standard. So if he delivers an performance that is good but not Oscar worthy he gets flack for it.

Now onto the women. Penelope Cruz was the best one in the film. She is sexy and emotional as Guido's mistress Carla. I also liked Marion Cotillard's fine performance as Guido's long suffering wife Luisa. Judi Dench really was terrific in her musical number and proved that she can do anything as Guido's agen Lilli. I don't know if Fergie can act but she sure can sing and so she did as the prostitute Saraghina. Unfortunately, both Nicole Kidman and Sophia Loren were wasted because they didn't their roles as Guido's muse Claudia and his mother respectively were underwritten. And what can I say about Kate Hudson as the Vogue reporter Stephanie? I just don't think that she is a good actress.

So while I don't think that Nine is a great film I enjoyed it for what is was. And at least I wasn't disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home