Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

DVD Mini Review - (500) Days of Summer

When (500) Days of Summer came out I didn't see it at my local cinema. It looked okay but a bit too cute. But the critics loved it so I wanted to see it as soon as it came out on DVD. The verdict is that I liked it more than I though I would be it isn't as great as the critics said it was.

Director Marc Webb has fashioned an indie rom com that is a little bit different from other films. But it is not that much different. Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) meets Summer (Zooey Deschanel) when she starts working for his company. He immediately falls for her. She tells him right from the start that she isn't looking for commitment but he seems to be deaf. The film goes back and forth during the 500 days of their relationship (which is mostly on but sometimes off) or rather the time he spends being in it. That is the unique part of the film. But what happens during those days is typical of most relationship films.

The two actors have a nice chemistry and you can believe that they are a couple. The film belongs to Gordon-Levitt. He is very good in it and you can see that he is one of the finest young actors working today. You feel his joy and pain. I look forward to seeing what he does next.

So, yes, rent (500) Days of Summer. It works very well on DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home