Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, December 21, 2009

Avatar

What can I say about James Cameron's Avatar? There has been so much written about it already. I will say that I liked it better than his Titanic. That has to be the most overrated film ever made. I really did not have much interest in seeing Avatar but after seeing it this afternoon I must say that I am glad that I did.

I wanted to see it in 3D but the projector broke so I saw it in 2D. I am not a big fan of 3D and it was less money to see the 2D version. The story itself is not a new one. A country/people trying to ruin a land of indigenous people. It is a typical story of greed and power. The screenplay is not spectacular and the dialog is ordinary. And the acting (by Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington among others) is okay. But this is not a film about writing and acting. It is about visuals. And what beautiful visuals there are. Cameron and his crew have created a beautiful land of forests and creatures that we have not seen before. And that is why it is worth it to see this film on the big screen. It is a feast for the eyes.

The first ninety minutes or so of the film are most interesting. However, the last part of the film is a letdown. The final battle sequence is way too long and, therefore, making the film too long. It should have been cut down.

But still and all I recommend Avatar for those of you who want to see something visually special. And, yes, there is a message in there as well. Humans must stop ruining this (and perhaps other) planet(s)!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I saw Avatar in 3D, at least I paid for 3D, but was not sure that it really was 3D.
I loved the visual part of the film, especially when they were in that valley with the flowering trees. Yes, the battle scene was much too long and should have been cut.
The story, well the usual, boy meets girl, and good guys and bad guys.
It is a film for the big screen and I enjoyed seeing it.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home