Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

DVD Mini Review - HBO Mini Series John Adams

I don't have HBO (but do have other cable) so I couldn't wait until John Adams was out on DVD. And I was not disappointed. Tom Hooper (Elizabeth I) has transformed David McCullough's book into one of the best historical films I have ever seen (okay it was on television but so what!!). I will make sure that I read McCullough's book in the not too distant future.

The story follows John Adams (Paul Giamatti) from his beginning of his career to his death. We actually get to see how the US was born. But this is not just a history lesson. It is a real love story between Adams and his wife Abigail (Laura Linney). It is not that things were always perfect between them but their love and respect for each other always overcame every obstacle. Abigail was his closest advisor and when he wrote to her he always referred to her as "my dearest friend." She was a feminist way before any of us was born.

All of the acting is marvelous and besides Giamatti and Linney we have - David Morse (George Washington), Stephen Dillane (Thomas Jefferson), Tom Wilkinson (Benjamin Franklin), Refus Sewell (Alexander Hamilton), Danny Huston (Samuel Adams), Sarah Polley (Nabby Adams) and Tom Hollander (King George III). What else can I say about the cast except wow!!

Adams was not a rich man and he didn't own slaves. He and Abigail were totally against that. He tried to prevent war and thought that it should be only used as a last resort. But he did put forth the awful Alien and Sedition act. He was much more complex than many of us would think. He just didn't get the "press" that Washington and Jefferson got.

Anyway, do to time constraints I can't write much more. I just urge you to rent this outstanding series about our second president and how he and our other founding fathers (and mothers) helped to form these United States. And afterwards think about how things are now. It will blow your mind!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home