Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Children of Huag Shi

Roger Spottiswoode's new film is a very good one. In fact, it is much better than the critics would lead you to believe.

It is the story of how one man, George Hogg, helped save over 60 children in war torn China in the 1930s. This was the time when the Japanese invaded China and killed so many people.

Hogg is played by the versatile Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He is a journalist who is just looking for a good story to bring back home to Britain. But when he gets to Nanking he finds out there is much more to life than that. Along the way he meets a helpful Communist soldier named Jack (Chow Yun-Fat), an American nurse Lee Pearson (Radha Mitchell) and a mysterious woman named Mrs. Wang who lends a hand. And of course there are the children (all male) who are war orphans.

The film gives us a chance to find out about an episode in world history that most of us know little. There are some scenes of graphic violence. But I must say that most of the film is quite breathtaking. I felt like I was actually in China. The acting was all fine and the directing is good. Hogg is considered a hero in China. The ending is poignant and I had tears in my eyes.

Again, I do not know why the critics do not like this film. But I recommend this film to those of you who like a story with meaning. Big screen is best because of the look of the film. But if you can't catch it on the big screen then make sure you add it to your DVD list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home