Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 03, 2006

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

In all honesty I wasn't going to see this film. The previews seemed rather silly and annoying. But as I read the reviews I realized that over 95 percent of the critics liked this film a lot. So I thought I would check it out.

Sacha Baron Cohen plays the title character Borat. He is from Kazakhstan and his objective is to make a documentary about the United States. He and his producer Azamat (Kevin Davitian) embark on a road trip around the United States to get a feel for the people and the mood of the country. What Borat finds is a lot of intolerance.

Yes, Cohen's character is pretty offensive but that is done on purpose. This film is pure satire. I found myself laughing out loud during much of the film. But this film is not just a series of dirty jokes. There are lessons to be learned and you have to look beyond the laughs to see the real meaning of the film.

I will not say more about what happens. The film is not big on plot but big on ideas and laughs.
The theater I saw it at was very crowded and this was the first show on a Friday. But I wonder how many people in the audience understood what was being said under the wicked humor.

Cohen created the character and co-wrote the screenplay and Larry Charles directed the film. I do recommend the film for those of you who like political satire that makes you laugh so hard that tears come to your eyes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, I was wondering if I should go and see it, but now that I read your review, I shall see it this week. Elfriede

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home