Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, October 27, 2006

The Prestige

The Prestige is the second film about magic that has been released this year. The first one was The Illusionist, a film that I very much liked and was a surprise hit. I also enjoyed The Prestige and it is also quite a hit.

The Prestige is adapted by Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan from a novel by Christopher Priest. Christopher Nolan directed it with his usual flair.

I will only give you a little bit of the plot because saying too much would give things away. The
story revolves around two rival magicians, Rupert Angier (Hugh Jackman) and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale). An older magician named Cutter (Michael Caine) uses the two men in one of his tricks. Cutter has a young woman named Julia's (Piper Perabo) hands and feet bound with rope. She is put into a tank of water and, of course, she escapes. Angier and Borden are the ones who tie the knots. It should be mentioned that Julia is married to Angier. One day Borden ties the knot in a way that Julia can't escape and she dies. Angier cannot forgive Borden and this starts their heated rivalry.

Most of the film focuses on how one magician tries to outdo the other. Borden marries a woman named Sarah (Rebecca Hall) and has a daughter. Angier never remarries but he finds an assistant and a mistress in Olivia (Scarlett Johansson). At one point Angier travels to America to ask a "mad" scientist named Tesla (David Bowie) to make an unusual apparatus for him so that he can perform a special trick. Tesla's assistant Alley is played by Andy Serkis. Also of note is Ricky Jay, who early in the film plays a magician named Milton. Jay is a magician in real life.

The film is beautifully shot by Wally Pfister. All the acting is fine but I wish that Johansson's role was a bit more developed. She is a good actress and deserves to play more complex character.s I especially enjoyed watching Bowie as Tesla. I kept thinking that it would be great if they could make a movie about his character (but I doubt that will happen).

The film is a series of different tricks. And just when you thought you've seen your last trick
another one is revealed. I must say that I had an idea of what was going on. But that didn't diminish the fun I had while watching the film. I was just a bit more on my toes after being fooled while watching The Illusionist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home